Children Who Remember Previous Lives
A Question of Reincarnation, rev. ed.
About the Book
The concept of reincarnation has been around for thousands of years, and is a part of many religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism. In addition to these religious beliefs, many people believe it offers an explanation for the mysteries of life. There are children that claim to remember previous lives as adults or even animals. These claimed memories might affect the development of the child and be incorporated into the child’s personality.
This book presents an in-depth look at Dr. Stevenson’s forty years studying children who claim to remember previous lives. It is an informative, professional read that dispels common misconceptions about reincarnation and offers an open-minded perspective. It provides an overview of the history of the belief in and evidence for reincarnation, with new material relating to birthmarks and birth defects, independent replication studies, and recent developments in genetic study. It also covers research on children, the methods used, the cases studied, and the analyses of the data. The idea of reincarnation is explored as an explanation for some unsolved problems in psychology and medicine.
• INTRODUCTION TO REINCARNATION—Provides an introduction to the study of reincarnation, including a discussion of the belief in reincarnation.
• VARIATIONS IN DIFFERENT CULTURES—Looks at how reincarnation is viewed in different cultures around the world and how it has changed over time.
• EXPLANATORY VALUE OF THE IDEA OF REINCARNATION—The idea of reincarnation has been around for thousands of years, and many people believe it offers an explanation for the mysteries of life.
• TYPES OF EVIDENCE FOR REINCARNATION—There are many types of evidence for reincarnation, including anecdotal evidence, case studies, and research studies.
• TYPICAL CASES OF CHILDREN—Looks at typical cases of children who remember previous lives, with a focus on their characteristics.
• METHODS OF RESEARCH—Discusses the methods of research and the various ways in which previous-life memories can be investigated.
• ANALYSIS AND INTERPRETATION OF CASES—Analyzes a number of cases from the author’s 40-year career.
About the Author(s)
Ian Stevenson, M.D.
Format: softcover (6 x 9)
Bibliographic Info: appendix, notes, references, index
Copyright Date: 2001
Book Reviews & Awards
- “fascinating and compelling…significant”—Journal of Scientific Exploration
- “excellent…offers us a fascinating and compelling book with the distinct potential for profoundly changing our way of understanding the nature of human existence and death. Standard reading for any person who wishes to be regarded as literate and educated”—Journal of the American Society for Psychical Research